This position has now been filled. Thanks so much to all those who applied!
We’re looking to add a Production + Shipping Assistant (AKA Shop Superhero) to our small team. From packing rivets and assembling maker kits, to shipping orders and reimagining organizational storage systems, this position is key to keeping the physical aspects of our business running like a well-oiled machine. This is not a sit-at-a-laptop-all-day job. Great for someone who loves to work with their hands—and get sh*t done! This hourly, in-person position will begin at 30 hours per week (Tuesday—Saturday, approx. 10am–4pm) and will ramp up to 40 hours as we enter peak holiday season. Find the full job description and a link to apply below.
WHO WE ARE
We’re Klum House, and our mission is to help people become bag makers. We offer bag making patterns, fully-prepped maker kits, specialty tools + supplies, and a range of online classes and educational support. We believe in empowerment and transformation through hands-on skill building. We’re dedicated to helping folks make badass, professional-quality bags on a home sewing machine.
We are a small, close-knit team—currently made up of four, full-time, multitalented, multi-hyphenate women. We are creative, ambitious, holistic, collaborative, and pretty fun to hang out with, if we do say so ourselves. 😉 We are always dreaming up bigger and better ways to serve our maker community and balancing those lofty goals with lots of grit and practicality.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace. We know that our ideas are better and our team is stronger when we actively embrace different backgrounds and life experiences. All are welcome. BIPOC folks are especially encouraged to apply.
- Maintaining stock levels of all raw + packed goods and replenishing as necessary
- Overseeing intake of cut fabric and leather straps from off-site factories, including quality control, counting, organizing, and storage
- Carefully counting and packing bulk hardware
- Assembling custom bag making kits from raw materials to support order fulfillment
- Preparing and packaging tools and sewing supplies products
- Receiving deliveries and storing all incoming goods in appropriate locations
- Maintaining clear, frequent communication with production + shipping managers
- Occasionally cutting fabric yardage and leather
- Finding ways to continually improve upon existing production systems
- Assisting shipping manager with order fulfillment by packing and weighing orders and printing shipping labels
- Organizing and maintain shipping department
- Monitoring high-level shipping processes while keeping an eye out for improvement opportunities
- Maintaining cleanliness and general organization of the studio
- Managing stock levels and ordering for general studio supplies
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Our ideal candidate has a critical eye for detail, is a systems-thinker, and loves working with their hands. From packing rivets and assembling maker kits, to shipping orders and reimagining organizational storage systems—this position is key to keeping the physical aspects of our business running like a well-oiled machine. We’re looking for someone who takes great pride in a job well done and jumps right in with ideas to make things better. This is an entry level position with room for growth.
- Excellent organizational skills (What would Marie Kondo do?!)
- Keen, critical eye for detail and quality control
- Intermediate sewing skills (leather-working experience a plus!)
- Ability to work quickly and accurately with your hands
- Comfortable working on your feet for much of the day
- Proactive problem-solver, always trying to make things better
- Ability to work well independently and in a team environment
- Great verbal communication skills so nothing falls through the cracks
- Comfortable asking for and receiving constructive feedback
- Identifying operational snags and inefficiencies and correcting them
- Not bashful about voicing all of your genius ideas
- Ability to think big (systems level) and small (counting 25 snaps)
This will be an in-person position, so candidates must be local to Portland, Oregon. We take special precautions to maintain social distancing and ensure our team’s safety in light of COVID-19.